Friday, May 7, 2010

Fox wedding in Florida

Last weekend Jeremy and I traveled to South Beach, Florida for Brandon & Kim's wedding. We have never been to Florida, so we were pretty excited about getting somewhere warm and to just be away for alittle bit.
We left before the crack of dawn on Friday morning along with two of our friends, Haala and Jesse. I was the only girl on our little trip....sharing a room with these guys. Thank goodness I knew them well, and am very comfortable with sharing a room with three other guys, otherwise I think I would have bunked up with someone else! Besides, they actually weren't that bad until Sunday morning when they started to stink up the bathroom and room. That's when I was done!
As we flew out of the cities early Friday morning, and the beverage cart comes down the isle, what do you think they order??? Drinks. Everyone stared at us (thank the lord we were in the back of the plane by the toilet b/c we were pretty loud at times), looking like we were going to be trouble-makers. And we were. Our flight attendants were either nice and got along with us, or they gave us the "unapproved" look very often. As they had their drinks (I ended up having only one or two drinks), we made a few friends with the surrounding passengers, getting them to order a few drinks with us. It's probably only 9 am by now, and the guys ask for one of their multiple drinks. They were denied! Apparently you can only have a max of 6 drinks on a plane! Is that all?? Who would have thought there should be a limit? And who would have thought an actual person would order six or more drinks in a two hour period??? My guys did! The best part was that if you are drunk and obnoxious, you are flagged for your next flight. Thank the lord this was our only flight and we weren't too crazy. Since I didn't have my limit, I could have more, but I chose to be the sane person on the flight and stick with my two weak ones:)
After we got off the plane, we quickly realized that it is very hot and humid in Florida. The curls in my hair were going to have lots of fun driving me crazy. Thank goodness I have long enough hair to put it back in a ponytail b/c it does not look cute when it gets humid! We met up with everyone at one of the hotels and hung out at the pool all afternoon. I also have concluded that I now know why there are so many skinny people in South Beach--it's too darn expense to eat!! $15 for a burger and fries!!! Good lord! The hotel had happy hour thankfully so that we all pitched in for food and beer. That was our one meal of the day. We only ate once a day--happy hour--otherwise we went to Walgreen's down the street to pick up beer (I know, sounds a little weird to me too, but they sell it there), along with some snacks to have while lying out on the beach.
All three guys fried like lobsters the first day too--I was again the smart one out of the bunch and applied sunscreen. That night we went out to downtown South Beach to the local bars and I again have realized that I am not made for fanciness or Florida. My dressed up is getting me into a flippin' dress or some dress pants/shirt. I don't like dresses all that much, so I would go with the dress pants. But everyone in Florida wears cocktail dresses to the bars! With heals. A lot of makeup. And again, are very skinny. Let's just say I kind of stuck out. Oh well, who's going to notice or remember some little Norwegian girl from Minnesota. Their kind of bar too is not like ours. We here like to drink, maybe dance if we've had too much. There, they just drink their expensive drinks and watch the bar maids dance on a table all night long. It was like I was having my own personal naughty show. Felt a little wrong, except for when the hot dancer guy came up! They all have these tight outfits on and dance their hinders away! Pretty hilarious!
Saturday was rough for all of us. We all had a lot to drink and a lot of sun the day before, but we managed to find the beach to lay out for awhile before we got ready for the wedding. We had to travel to a different part of the area to get there, where we stayed for five hours. Their wedding was very simple and short. It was cloudy but so hard humid and hot. Poor Brandon was just sweating! He had to take his shirt off in the bus ride over b/c it was showing spots!
Sunday we laid out some more and then rented a boat for a few hours of the afternoon to tour Miami, Millionaire island, and the enormous homes on the coastline. It was just nuts! (this is where I got burned--too much Florida sun for me). Afterwards we headed back to our hotel and sat in the hot tub until we were kicked out. Time for reality sat in as we were packing to head back home.
It was a long flight back home as we all were pooped out from the sun and cocktails. Florida was fun to visit, but not sure I would visit again in that area. Maybe somewhere less expensive??? Does that even exist??

No comments: