There is so much to post about our new bundle of joy--Bennet Charles. Several funny moments, where you will have to "be there" in order to laugh until you pee your pants, as well as a few "ugh" moments. I'm going to try my best again not to get winded, but you all know I LOVE to talk:)
Wednesday night Jeremy, Logan, Aunty Judy and I went out to eat to thank Judy for helping us around the house and with Logan. After dinner we grabbed some blizzards and ice cream. I was craving one pretty badly with all the heat we've been getting. We got home, Logan played outside with neighbors, and after a bit it was time for his bath. I was getting his meds in the kitchen, when I had the "sudden" urge to use the bathroom. I had to use the downstairs one, so I quickly waddled down the stairs, noticing that for some extremely odd reason I had no control over things. By the time I reached the bathroom, I was a sadly, soaked woman. I didn't figure it out that my water broke until I sat back up and continued to leak. This happened with Logan, so I knew right away that it was my water. I grabbed a few "things" to help with the waterworks and walked to the bottom of the steps. Without panicking, I called up to Jeremy saying "um, Jer.....we have an issue." They weren't quite sure what issue we had, until I told them my water broke. From there it was civilized chaos so we didn't freak out Logan. As we were leaving, he was saying by dada, mama...work??? Yep my dear, we are going to "work."
I called to let Labor & Delivery know we were on our way...20 minutes out. Yah. We get onto 35E North in St. Paul and it's all tail lights and signs saying "merge." Traffic was at a dead stop at least a mile or so before our exit. My water was gushing out and a fun-fast pace and my contractions were getting harder. I look at Jeremy and say "we have a truck, use the shoulder. I'm not sitting in traffic in labor." So the great guy that he is, he pulls over to the shoulder and turns the flashers on. I'm sure we would have gotten in trouble, but no one was around to stop us. We got yelled at once, but Jeremy yelled back "my wife's in labor." With that we were on our way.
We got to the hospital with my water continuing to leak profusely and the contractions getting alittle harder. They wheel me in and once again, we get the last room. We apparently have really good luck when it comes to getting the last room. At this time it is about 9:30pm. We go through the regular questions and routine of getting checked in. However, it's also the time for the IV. My nurse is great, but sucked at finding a vein. She blew my first and only really good vein. After another try in the other hand at no luck, we get a different nurse. She tried just as hard, but got it on the 2nd try. NOT FUN! I don't like needles, but then to be prodded multiple times and not working, as well as breathing through contractions, I wasn't sure I was going to even get through it. It's about 10pm and they decided to check me. I was only .5 on Tuesday morning & 30% effaced. Now I'm a 3 and 80%. A huge leap. I'm thinking, 'great, this should be easy and quick.' The doctor comes in and lets us know her plan now that we are further than they thought. The contractions were getting worse, so we call the epidural guy. He's the nicest (and not too shabby looking) guy. Apparently those are not the same kind of qualities for a great needle person. He also had a hard time getting the epidural in my back. Too many 'zingers' or misses. At one point I jumped out of reflex b/c he hit something. I was determined I was going to be screwed. I was barely breathing through the contractions, trying to be brave as this 'large needle that could ruin my walking life if I moved' go in my back. I'm not sure how much blood loss Jeremy had or if there was any feeling left in his hand, but he was my rock in keeping me focused and still. Once it was in, the doctor cranked up the drugs....to the point of me now going from "oh my god not again" kind of pain to "can you move my legs? I can't feel anything from ribs down."
Now imagine, being completely numb, to the point of no control. Jeremy and my nurses would have to shift me and/or my legs anytime I needed to be moved. I'm at that point of no return. When you are pregnant, your pride goes down the drain. There can be no shame of anything b/c you are no longer able to be modest with anything. You become numb to everyone looking, poking and prodding in places that never see the sun. Now try being completely numb from your boobs down and have any pride. This is where all of my pride goes down the drain. My nurse is happy that I can no longer feel any movement in my toes and any of the hard contractions they are seeing. However, it's that time where they need to put the catheter in. The nurse asks Jeremy to help with shifting me to my back and controlling my legs so they're not flopping around. As she's about ready to insert, I apparently needed to use the bathroom. She has to announce this to all of us, while trying not to laugh. Jeremy of course needs to check this out, and to his surprise it's happening and this makes him laugh. Well, since I'm not able to see any of this hilarious activity down there, I go by their reactions and start to laugh. Well, I become a naked boy in a cold room--shootin' pee across the room with each belly of laughter. This then becomes out of control b/c all 3 of us are laughing so hard we are all snorting & crying, as well as they are trying to get out of the way without getting hit. You'd think they would have thought of this catheter before giving me 2 bags of fluids..:)
We all were able to calm down; she was able to finish her original job, as well as clean up a huge mess. Within in minutes of finishing this up, there is an enormous amount of laughter coming from the hallway. I'm sure I've made her job and night complete, as well as become a story for her to share with many of her friends. Thank god I have no shame.
No comments:
Post a Comment