Our day was normal. I was having more heartburn than normal (I now know that it was contractions all day instead of heartburn). When Jeremy got home from work we took Judy out to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. We got home around 7:30 in time for Logan's bath. I was in the kitchen looking at something when I had the biggest urge to use the bathroom. Judy and Logan were in the upstairs bathroom, so my only option was going down 2 flights of stairs. There was no way I was going to make it, but I traveled as quickly as I could. When I got to the bathroom, I realized that it was my water that had broken. I just sat there on the pot in shock, thinking 'crap. here we go. and i just ate a big meal.' Not 'crap. I'm only 34 weeks.' I didn't want to freak anyone out (especially Logan), so I hollered upstairs that 'we have an issue.' Jeremy and Judy didn't get my issue at first, so I had to mention that 'my water just broke.' Are you sure? was their response. Yeah, the large amount of fluid continuously leaking out of me was not for pretend. Of course, Jeremy starts panicking, running around like a headless chicken. We grab a bag and headed out in the truck. I called the hospital to warn them that we are on our way, and I'm 34 weeks.
I arrived at United at 9:10pm, after dead-stop traffic. I made Jeremy put the flashers on and use the shoulder while passing everyone. My contractions were getting harder and closer together--I didn't want to have the baby on the road. The nurses prepped me and their NICU delivery room. A few hours later I quickly (to my terms) went to a 10, with the ease of my epidural. Our main nurse was preparing us for a tiny little baby. "He's going to be very tiny" she kept saying. We looked at her and said "yeah right. He will be at least 5 lbs." Sure enough, only a few pushes later, our little Bennet was born at 3:20am. He had dark black hair, blue eyes, and weighed 5lbs 13 oz!! He was perfect. And healthy. The NICU nurses cleaned him up so that I could hold him for a few seconds, and then whisked him off to the NICU. The only issue he really had was jaundice. Otherwise no breathing or eating issues. We stayed in the NICU for five full days. Not back for six weeks early.
We had a lot of issues the first few months with milk allergies and his throat being underdeveloped, everything became a blur. Talk about being deprived of sleep. I'm not sure what all really happened during that time, but now you'd never know Bennet was a preemie. He's crawling, standing on his own at times, walking along furniture, pushing and walking with his toys, devouring food all day long, and even saying a few words. His personality matches that of when he arrived--strong-willed and determined. Bennet always smiles and laughs at everything. Raises one eyebrow like his great-grandpa Doc. I think he will take after him too.
Bennet, you are my little big boy; my sunshine in the morning; my snuggler at night. We love you so much!! Happy 1st Birthday, my little B!!

No comments:
Post a Comment