Wednesday, August 25, 2010

gettin' old

It all started about two months ago. And only two months ago. Otherwise I have always remained young:) ha! Only in my mind I guess.
Two months ago I ran a four mile race here in town. I had been training for it since March, running on average four times a week, and running anywhere from one to three miles. I completed my race with the goal I had set of 45 minutes, but the following day my knee was swollen and really stiff/sore. I laid off with the running for a few weeks to see if that would help, but it still was sore every so often.
Well, three weeks ago I was sitting on the floor, attempting to change Bennet's diaper. I got up to throw the diaper away when my knee popped. Not just the normal crack. It was so loud that Jessie (who was over for dinner that night with the fam) even asked what the noise came from. I was nervous to move at first, but then tried to walk. It wasn't the best feeling but I figured it would be fine. Well since then, my knee has hurt every day and all day. Not excruciating pain, but now and then it was. I have had a hard time bending it, sitting criss cross, crossing my legs, as well as walking and/or biking long distances. Now the pain is going to my left hip. I caved in and saw the dr this morning. Bad news. I'm getting old. My knee is now beyond physical therapy and I need to see an ortho specialist for possible surgery. The dr this morning said it sounds like the miniscus??? and/or tendons/ligaments and/or the path of my knee cap. So pretty much my knee is shot. I'm not looking forward to this appt because it seems like surgery is my only future. I just don't know what kind.
I knew this day would be coming since I have ingured it so many times and I've been told that surgery will be in my future. I guess my youngen years are over with this knee. Let's hope that whatever the outcome is, I will still be able to workout and/or do some running again. Until then, I have to wait.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey Jen!! :) Talk to your bro, he had surgery on his knee for a torn meniscus a few years ago. Hopefully you don't have to have surgery though. Miss u!!

the henry's said...

that's right! i will talk to him. i am meeting with the ortho specialist on next week to see what they are thinking. i think i am doomed for surgery. i've injured this knee way too many times. it's beyond help:(
miss you too!