Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"burning rubber"

Things have been so crazy at our house and work that I haven't had any time to blog. I'm hoping that this isn't the outlook for the entire week.
The craziness all started on Sunday morning. Jeremy was over at a friend's house, so it was just Logan and I. I woke up at about 5:30 to a splitting migraine and the horrendous smell of burnt rubber. Of course this freaks me out, thinking the house may be on fire and wondering why the alarms are not going off. Logan has a little space heater in his room, so I thought maybe this was the cause. I went and turned it off, but it didn't help matters. I called Jeremy but no answer. I walked through the house and the smell was everywhere. I tried him again....no luck. It's six am now and I still don't know what is going on. I called my parents (woke them up) and my dad said it was the furnace. So I turned it off, opened the windows, and all the while Logan is still sleeping. The smell slowly went away, but when Logan got up we left the house and headed to Caribou for breakfast. I finally got hold of Jeremy and told him what was going on. We met back at the house later, called several service companies, and found out the blower was going ca puts. Great! The bad news was we couldn't get anyone to come out and fix it. They said to wait until Monday to have someone come out b/c it would cost much less. We had to "conserve" our heat so we put the space heater in the living room and turned the furnace heat down low. We actually survived sleeping on the pull-out couch (the three of us snuggled together) until one am. That's when we noticed there wasn't any more furnace and our house was at 59 degrees! Long story short, we finally got it fixed yesterday afternoon when our house was at 52 degrees! The sad story....our furnace may only last a few years more! I guess they only last 10 years nowadays. I'm just glad it was nice and cozy when I got home yesterday.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

OH NO!!! Poor you guys. I would have freaked out too and of COURSE it was on a weekend huh? why does that happen? ha.

We've had that happen before too but luckily Craig was home & knew what was happening. It's one thing to endure it as adults,we can survive,but it's a whole other story having kids while dealing with it.

Our units went out lat April,but it was spring time so we were w/out the a/c for 5 days. It sucked but atleast it wasn't HOT and miserable..more just uncomfortable.

Glad it's working and your warm & cozy.

Katie said...

tag your it, check out my blog